LPG is a blend of propane and butane, Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) is produced either as a by-product of oil-refining, or from natural gas (methane) fields. As an
alternative fuel Auto LPG it is most suited to use in cars and light vans, rather than heavy vehicles.
What are the environmental benefits of using an LPG vehicle?
Performance-wise, Auto LPG vehicles drive just like petrol vehicles and are subject to the same maintenance schedules.
It is generally accepted that Auto LPG gives a 10-15 per cent carbon dioxide reduction in comparison to petrol and is on a par with diesel. Auto LPG also delivers 80 per cent lower
nitrous oxide emissions than diesel, along with zero particulate emissions.
With effect from April 24, 2000, the use of Auto LPG as an automotive fuel was made legal in India.
The Auto LPG conversion kit
The The Auto LPG conversion kit follows the dual fuel system of conversion. Under this system, all gasoline parts are retained as the system allows one to start and run
the vehicle with either Auto LPG or gasoline with the help of a change over switch.
The components of the conversion kit are:
- Tank – contains the Auto LPG with capacity ranging from 30 to 100 liters.
- Multivalve – facilities refuelling, has an 80% stop-fill safety. i.e. it will automatically stop filling when it reaches 80% capacity.
- Device that acts as a shut-off valve in the event of the rupture of Auto LPG line.
- LPG Solenoid Valve – allows entry as well as prevents flow of Auto LPG to the system; depending on the mode selected.
- Gasoline Solenoid Valve – allows entry as it prevents flow of gasoline to the system; depends on the mode selected.
- Electronic Control Module – regulates the flow of LPG depending on the engine RPM (only in fuel injected models)
- Gas / Petrol Switch – allows change over from gasoline to Auto LPG
- Pressure Regulator on Vaporizer – facilitates vaporization of Auto LPG from liquid state
- Mixer or Gas Injection – introduces the vaporized Auto LPG in the combustion chamber.
Also see our conversion procedure